Copyright 2013. Elmer-Missouri.com. All rights reserved.
Elmer, Missouri - Early History
Chariton Valley Fox Hunters Association
In 1954, a group of interested fox hunters from the Elmer area met and decided to form a fox hunters club. It was named the Chariton Valley Fox Hunters Association and the first hunt was held in Elmer. Mr. J.C. Hawkins was the first president and Mr. Henry Carter was the first secretary.
The hunt was held at the Henry Smith farm south of Elmer the next year. The third year the hunt was permanently moved to the Elmer City Park. The hunters helped in constructing a shelterhouse and also built a large building to serve as a dog kennel.
The hunt is now held annually during the first weekend in August and draws large crowds from several Midwestern states. Also, a large dog show and supper is held each spring.
Larry Anspach is the present president and his wife serves as secretary. Past officers from the Elmer area are: Mr. Wendell Mathis, Mr. Lawrence Milner, Mr. Sam Thompson, Mr. Bernice Mock, Mr. Edwin Burkhardt and Mr. Hollis Shumaker.