Copyright 2013. Elmer-Missouri.com. All rights reserved.
Elmer, Missouri - Early History
Gunnels School District was located in Walnut Creek Township. The origination date of the school is not known, but it was in operation in 1882 when The La Plata Home Press reported that the building was destroyed by fire.
The school did more than just teach reading, writing and arithmetic. It regularly held a "literary" (a book review/discussion) during the evening where anyone in the community was welcome. In 1901, the school also formed a debating society, which met biweekly.
Teachers at the school included:
Miss Minnie Gunnels 1897
Miss Myrtle Patterson 1899
Mr. Herbert Patterson 1900
Miss Myrtle Patterson 1901
Miss Pearl Wright 1902
Miss Rowena Jones 1903
The school was consolidated with the Elmer district in 1904. Click here to see the 1904 article regarding the vote to consolidate with Elmer and Mercyville schools.