Copyright 2013. Elmer-Missouri.com. All rights reserved.
Mr. Claude Cochran
(Reprinted from Elmer Centennial, 1987)
Starting at Hardin, Missouri, as a telegraph apprentice, Claude Lee Cochran began his long forty-seven year career with the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. On September 17, 1960, he was awarded a certificate of honor upon his retirement in recognition of the forty-seven years employment with the company.
One of the highlights of his career as depot agent and
telegrapher was in 1912 when he and Mrs. (Millie)
Cochran lived at Sibley, Missouri, where he was
employed. That was when the bridge was being built
across the Missouri River.
Before working for thirty-two years as depot agent at
Elmer, he was at Henrietta, Missouri, for nine years.
During the years of his employmenjt, Mr. Cochran has
seen the change from hand to automatic switcfhes on the
As a retired Elmer citizen, Mr. Cochran enjoys the memories of his career, his two children, two grandsons, two great grandsons and two great granddaughters. Mr. and Mrs. Cochran attend the Christian Church and he is a member of the Masonic Lodge.
Elmer, Missouri - Early History